Cape Town is the quintessential melting pot – it is a city alive with creativity, color, sounds and tastes. While walking through the city’s streets and meeting its people, you will fall in love with its natural beauty, creative freedom and incredible spirit. Cape Town’s most distinctive feature is its stunning setting – it lies on a dramatic coastline of pristine white beaches and icy waters, overlooked by the iconic flat-topped Table Mountain. From there, fly to Johannesburg for an overnight stop before boarding the Rovos Rail in Pretoria. Step aboard the most luxurious train in the world and discover the atmosphere of a bygone era. Your scenic journey starts in Pretoria, South Africa and takes you to the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. Savor fine cuisine in the charming Victorian atmosphere of the dining cars and relax in Five Star luxury in one of only 36 beautifully appointed suites on board the Pride of Africa! The Rovos Rail departs from their private station in Pretoria and travels north through Warmbaths and Nylstroom. Dinner is served en route to Messina and Beitbridge for Zimbabwe border formalities. The following day breakfast is served as the train travels towards Bulawayo via Rutenga and Somabhula. Dinner en route to Mpopoma for overnight. Day 3 starts as the train departs Mpopoma and travels along one of Africa’s longest stretches of straight railway line, 114km. Arrive at Kennedy for a game drive at The Hide. Dinner is served in the dining cars en route to Thompsons Junction for the overnight stop. Arrive at journey’s end in Victoria Falls on day 4. Take in the spectacular sight of this natural phenomenon. The Victoria Falls is the world’s largest waterfall, a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the greatest attractions in Africa. It is located in the Zambezi River, which forms the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. The water level varies throughout the year with its peak in April, at the end of the rainy season and its lowest level in October and early November. Indulge in High Tea at the Royal Livingstone, Sundowner Cocktails overlooking the Victoria Falls or the Zambezi Spectacular helicopter flight which takes you on the traditional “Flight of Angels” and over the Batoka Gorges. Lastly step aboard the Zambezi Queen. Located along the banks of the great Chobe River, the Zambezi Queen offers world-class sophistication in one of the most remote locations on earth. With only 14 suites, the Zambezi Queen is as unique and adventurous as it is comfortable and elegant. In fact, it is unsurpassed in all aspects and the last word in Luxury African River Safaris. Each suite features air-conditioning and a private balcony, offering unobstructed views of the river and vistas. Enjoy remarkable game viewing from the comfort of your bedside.
Cape Town is the quintessential melting pot – it is a city alive with creativity, colour, sounds and tastes. While walking through the city’s streets and meeting its people, you will fall in love with its natural beauty, creative freedom and incredible spirit. Cape Town’s most distinctive feature is its stunning setting – it lies on a dramatic coastline of pristine white beaches and icy waters, overlooked by the iconic flat-topped Table Mountain.
Since its establishment in 1989, Rovos Rail has earned an international reputation for its truly world-class travel experiences. Step aboard the wood-panelled coaches – classics remodelled and refurbished to mint condition – and enjoy fine cuisine in five-star luxury as some of the most varied scenery imaginable unfolds beyond the windows. In a series of train journeys lasting from 48 hours to a month, the Pride of Africa links some of Africa’s greatest destinations from Cape Town at the tip of Africa to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania, from scenic splendours as diverse as the game reserves of Mpumalanga to the Victoria Falls, from the desert landscapes in Namibia and the stark beauty of the Karoo to the lush cane fields of KwaZulu-Natal and the magnificent Garden Route along the Cape south coast. The trains – which may be hauled by steam, diesel or electric locomotives at various stages of the journey – carry a maximum of 72 passengers in 36 superbly appointed suites.
Victoria Falls Journey
Relive the romance of a bygone Africa on a nostalgic expedition to one of the seven Natural Wonders of the World. Experience a 1600-kilometre journey through truly African scenery as Rovos Rail’s luxurious train meanders westwards through Mafikeng into Botswana and then north towards Mahalapye, crossing the Tropic of Capricorn just after Gaborone. Once the train has passed through Botswana it arrives at Plumtree in the late afternoon for border formalities with Zimbabwe. Continuing in a northwesterly direction, the train passes Bulawayo heading towards Thompson’s Junction and Hwange Game Reserve, where animals can be spotted from the train. The surrounding area offers travellers many recreational activities including cruises, whitewater rafting on the Zambezi River as well as superb game viewing and photo safaris. Depending upon the railway’s capacity this journey could be routed northwards through Beitbridge and Zimbabwe.
World’s Ultimate Activities
Our hand-picked activities allow you to discover the essence and heartbeat of each World’s Ultimate destination and can be organised on a shared or private basis. Below are a few suggested activities:
– High Tea at the Royal Livingstone: The Royal Livingstone’s Traditional High Tea is as famous and celebrated as the Hotel itself. Offering a tempting selection of cakes and confectionaries against the backdrop of the roaring Victoria Falls, the Royal Livingstone High Tea Experience is a thrill for the senses.
– Sundowner Cocktails overlooking the Victoria Falls: African sunsets are legendary and so much more a sunset right over the Victoria Falls. The Royal Livingstone’s two Sundecks, located right on the Zambezi River, offer unrivalled views of the river and the thundering Victoria Falls.
– Zambezi Spectacular Flight: The Zambezi Spectacular helicopter flight takes you on the traditional “Flight of Angels” and over the Batoka Gorges. You will witness first-hand the metamorphosis of a gentle river into raging rapids as the river, 1,7km wide at the Victoria Falls, cascades 120 metres before being compressed by a granite gorge a mere 40 metres wide. End your flight with game viewing over the Zambezi National Park. Many of the traditional African species including elephant, buffalo, hippo, lion, crocodile and giraffe roam these plains.
– Bungee Jump: With the largest curtain of falling water in the world as your backdrop, there is no better scene to take a bungee jump. It promises to be the ultimate thrill above the raging rapids and misty gorges of the Zambezi River.
– Bridge Swing: For the adventurous traveller, take the step off of the Victoria Falls Bridge into the Batoka Gorge on the bridge swing. You will freefall over the Zambezi River in an upright position for 80 metres and then swing as a human pendulum in a huge arc side-by-side with the magnificent waterfall.
– Bridge Slide: Step onto the platform on the Zambian edge and glide on a zipline over the rapids of the Batoka Gorge below. Your aerial view of the Victoria Falls will be nothing less than spectacular. Your 300 metre journey comes to an end as you stop on the Zimbabwean side of the bridge.
– Elephant Back Safari: Choose to take a breakfast or sundowner Elephant back safari, a unique way to interact with these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat. You will experience the close bond between each elephant and its personal Induna or elephant handler. They live with the elephants on a permanent basis and have a keen understanding of their character traits and habits.
– River Rafting: Embark on the ultimate adventure starting directly below the Victoria Falls and continuing through the infamous rapids named “The Overland Truck-eater”, “The Mother”, “Gnashing Jaws of Death” and “Oblivion”. They were aptly named to instill fear into any rafter. Your experienced guide will steer you through this adrenalin rush as you conquer the rapids of the Zambezi.
Included in this package
Our packages have been designed to deliver matchless experiences while catering to your every need. Local flights, airport transfers, luxury accommodation and hand-picked activities at each destination are included in our base packages. You can choose to include international flights or edit or remove any of the included items when requesting an online quotation. A price and full day-by-day itinerary is provided on the next screen when an online quotation is requested.
This package includes Economy Class flights between destinations within the package. You can also choose to fly in ultimate comfort by upgrading to Business or First Class at an additional cost. Flights from your home and back can be added when requesting an online quote.
World’s Ultimate Hotels
We offer a carefully selected portfolio of Four and Five Star Hotels and Resorts to ensure that you experience personalized service and luxury accommodation of a high standard. Other hotels or resorts of your choice not featured on our website can be quoted on, should you wish.
Airport transfers to and from your chosen World’s Ultimate hotel will be provided in a private vehicle. Some destinations also offer optional helicopter, speedboat or seaplane transfers.
To complete your travel package, you can choose to add leisure, dining, adventure and entertainment activities. We want to ensure that you experience the highlights that our destinations have to offer.
Corporate Head Office: 745 Fifth Avenue Suite 500 New York NY 10151 Main Booking Office: 88 King St # B Northampton MA 01060